Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Cindy's Introduction

Hi! My name is Cindy and I am a second-year student majoring in accounting. I was born in Canada, but I am ethnically Chinese. In my free time, I like playing mobile rhythm games, watching cooking and baking videos, listening to music, organizing things, and going out to eat with friends. In general, I am a boring person who doesn’t do much, but I think my strong point is my very distinctive, contagious laugh. I often find things funny and will laugh at most jokes, usually causing those around me to laugh at my laughing. It might be hard to strike a conversation with me at the beginning because I don’t have much in common with others, but I hope to improve my ability to talk to people and make new friends. I am very fearful and often worry about everything, so one of the reasons why I am going to Japan is to push myself out of my comfort zone and experience life on my own. I am rather sheltered, but when talking to my friends, I often find that there is so much more in the world than I ever imagined, so I believe this opportunity will be very eye-opening and beneficial to me. By going as a group to Japan, I believe it will help me feel more comfortable and make it easier to adjust to the new environment. I also want to improve my lack of confidence by putting myself in a situation that will challenge me to use a language I am not familiar with and practice it. I often miss out on opportunities to practice Japanese when I am given the opportunity to speak simply due to my lack of confidence, but in an environment where not everyone is able to speak English, I will have no choice but to use Japanese to attempt to communicate with others. While I enjoy Japanese class and learning about Japanese language and culture, I find that there isn’t enough time to practice new grammar points and vocabulary we learn during class, and that formal grammar learned from a textbook is not always appropriate and applicable for daily use. I think that by immersing myself into the culture and language itself, my Japanese will improve significantly compared to exclusively attending Japanese classes in a country outside of Japan. I have travelled to places outside of Canada, specifically in the United States and China, but these trips have always been with my family. I hope that by going to Japan practically by myself without my family, I will learn to become more independent and self-sufficient. I believe this entire experience will help me to grow as a person, pulling me out of my shell to explore new things, and improve in all aspects of my life. All this aside, I am looking forward to going to Japan and being able to experience Japanese culture and their food because it sounds much more interesting than what Canada has to offer.

初めまして!私はシンディーです。大学二年生です。せんこうは会計学です。カナダで生まれました。しゅみはリズムゲームをしたり、音楽を聞いたり、料理のビデオを見たり、友達と一緒に食べ物を食べたりします。好きな食べ物はアイスクリームとチョコレートです。今日本語を話すのが下手ですが、上手になりたいです。よろしくお願いします!

1 comment: