Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Mickie's Introduction

Japanese Blog#1: Self-Intro

Hi, my name is Mickie Hong. I am studying East Asian Language Studies at the University of Calgary. I have always been interested in other languages and cultures, and I am super excited to be a part of this Japanese group study program.
My fascination in Japan stems from my childhood days. Ever since I was little, I have always been surrounded by toys, games, music, and books – all of which originated in or are related to Japan. As I grew older, I found myself learning about the culture through Japanese cultural videos on YouTube and that heightened my desire to go to Japan to experience it for myself. When I began studying to one day become a teacher, this interest pushed me into learning more about Japan, with the hopes of one day teaching there.
Joining this program and continuing my education in Japan will allow me to indulge my interest in Japanese culture and to deepen my knowledge of the Japanese language. Studying abroad will give me the opportunity to immerse myself in that environment, experiencing the culture first-hand, rather than reading about it through books, or watching it through YouTube videos. Especially with a group study like this, I will have peers who will be just as eager to learn as I am and who are about the same skill level as I am, encouraging each other in a new and adventurous environment. I believe that by immersing ourselves into the culture and language itself we will be able to get more from it and learn more from it in ways a classroom setting cannot provide.
When I first entered Mount Royal University, I initially took Japanese language classes as an option. However, those Japanese classes had a significant impact on how I learned and only heightened my curiosity for the culture. This was one of the main reasons why I transferred to the University of Calgary. I hoped to pursue the extended levels of Japanese, and currently, I am in the East Asian Language Studies program majoring in Japanese. I hope to meet and converse with Japanese students who are around the same age, making it easier to learn about the little places hidden to foreigners. I am looking forward to making new friends and creating fun new memories from this experience!
Asides from Japanese, my other interests are being active. I really like hiking and being up in the mountains with the gorgeous scenery and fresh air, and swimming and trying out new sports. I also like to read novels of any genre, listen to songs of any kinds (except for maybe country…), and watching movies, shows, and dramas. Recently, I have picked up knitting and crochet! It sounds like something I would probably do when I am way older, but it is pretty fun! I have actually made many different things such as hats, scarves, and even little baby slippers! I always like to try new things because if you don’t try, you’ll never know if you’ll end up liking it!

初めまして!私はミッキーです。大学三年生です。専攻は東アジア言語研究です。カナダで生まれました。しゅみはスポーツをしたり、音楽を聞いたり、映画とテレビを見たり、友達と一緒に食べ物を食べたりします。一番好きな食べ物はアイスクリームです。私の日本語を話すのが下手ですが、上手になりたいです。よろしくお願いします!

No comments:

Post a Comment